The Orchid

The Orchid

Sunday, 21 May 2017

Malvern Show & Short Stories

I visited the Malvern Show recently, hoping for garden inspiration and plants that survive in the extreme soil conditions that make up my garden.



I'm searching garden centres for the purple and white flowers, which were so pretty. They won't look like that in my garden...

I also dipped back into writing short stories. Competition entries were how I started writing and I think they're an excellent way to learn. For the last few years, I have purely written novels, so it was fun to return to the tightness and intense conflict needed for a short story. I also did an exercise of shrinking the short story down from 1,000 words to 200 and it was amazing how much sense it still made! Shows you that less is often best when it comes to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment