The Orchid

The Orchid

Saturday, 17 October 2015

Why Do We Do It?

Why do people write? Why do I write? I get asked this quite often and it's a hard one to answer. It certainly isn't for the money! There's very little reward for writing and if I cover the cost of my printer ink and expenses in the year, I consider myself to be doing well. You have more chance of winning the lottery then having a top selling book. 

I work almost 30 hours a week in a demanding job and am a single mother to two children. I don't take a lunch break to fit my hours in, so I can get back for the school collections. Evenings are spent helping with homework, cooking, clearing up, washing, refereeing arguments.  When my eldest is finally in bed, I make a coffee, switch on the laptop and write until 11 pm. I don't eagerly sit down to work, I have to make myself do it as I'm pretty shattered by this point, but except for the rare night off, it's what I do every day. 

Most writers, except for the very successful, work this way, holding down other jobs and juggling family commitments. So why do we do it? For me, it's the writing itself. That feeling you get when you click with your book and suddenly you're with your characters, feeling everything they feel and living their lives. It's pure escapism and is what gives me the drive to continue. I couldn't not write as it's too much part of me. Writing has got me through some very difficult times in my life and while there have been periods when I've been tempted to stop, I know I never will. 

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I don't think I could give up the writing. I do hope to sell enough to more than cover my costs, but I'd still do it even if I knew for sure that wouldn't happen.

    Why shouldn't? How many people make a profit from playing golf, getting their nails done, drinking wine or watching TV? That doesn't mean they shouldn't enjoy those pastimes if that's what makes them happy.

    ReplyDelete