The Orchid

The Orchid

Monday, 23 February 2015

Going Down a Storm....

Winter Dreams, the Crimson Romance bundle of 7 stories, is in the Crimson top three for the second week running! Including my own book, Winter Storms, it has spent the last ten days in the top twenty of holiday romance on Amazon. We're also been lucky to receive some lovely reviews. 

I'm currently nearing the end of the first draft of my new Roman story, which has taken longer than usual to write. It's a children's story, so a move away from my usual romance and great fun to write. I'm a single, working parent to young children, so fitting in the writing after a long day of work, housework and small people is tricky. I usually wait until my eldest is in bed and tell myself that 'I will just do 500 words.' Generally those 500 words turn into 1,000, so over the weeks, a story builds up. The thought of writing a whole novel can be daunting, but if you think of it as a set number of words a day, it's a lot less scary.

Writing a book simply is like Stephen King said, 'Bum on seat, write.' You have to be dedicated to not only writing the book, but also on learning how to write. With so many people self-publishing, it is tempting to think anyone can write a book. True, they can, but to write a readable book is a different matter. I've written since I was a child, but it was only when I took a step back from typing down the ideas and sent work off to competitions and critiques (I used Debz Hobbs-Wyatt, an accomplished writer who does a brilliant critique http://www.debzhobbs-wyatt.co.uk/Pages/default.aspx) that I became publishable. It's hard work, but so worthwhile. I love writing, and have made some wonderful friends in the writing world. If a 'good book can be a cure of most ills,' then immersing yourself in your own world and characters has to be a close run second! 

4 comments:

  1. You're doing really well - probably because you're working hard. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Just finished my word count for tonight. Hope your book is going well too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is. I'm at the stage where it's hard to tell! You've been there I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best of luck with it. I really enjoyed your other books. x

    ReplyDelete